Shaved Head and Delayed Arraignment Mark Nick Reiner's Court Appearance
Nick Reiner presented in court with a newly shaved head for his arraignment on murder charges related to the deaths of his parents, Rob Reiner and Michele Reiner.
A courtroom sketch depicted Nick, 32, wearing a khaki jumpsuit during the Los Angeles arraignment on Wednesday, January 7, with his hands still restrained by handcuffs throughout the proceedings. Nick appeared visibly distressed, seemingly on the verge of tears, during the appearance.
Nick’s arraignment was postponed due to his former attorney, Alan Jackson, withdrawing from the case. Nick will now be represented by Kimberly Greene, a criminal defense lawyer with the Los Angeles County Office of the Public Defender.
“I’m legally and ethically restricted from detailing all the reasons why, I understand that’s a question on everyone’s mind,” Jackson told reporters on Wednesday after announcing his departure from the case. “We anticipate the public defender will step in, they have already been appointed and will diligently protect Nick Reiner’s interests as he progresses through the legal system.”
Nick Reiner Addressed the Judge in Court as Arraignment Is Delayed Until Next Month
Jackson indicated that he remained “deeply dedicated” to Nick’s “best interests” moving forward.
“Indeed, we know, we are not simply convinced, we know that the legal process will reveal the complete truth of the circumstances surrounding Nick’s case,” Jackson stated. “What we’ve discovered, and you can rely on this, is that, according to California law, Nick Reiner is not guilty of murder.”
Nick’s next hearing is scheduled for Monday, February 23, where he will be formally arraigned.
“They are placing complete faith in the legal process and will not provide further comment on matters pertaining to the legal proceedings,” a spokesperson for the Reiner family informed The New York Times on Wednesday.
Los Angeles District Attorney Nathan Hochman addressed the press following the appearance, noting that the district attorney’s office would facilitate a seamless transition for Nick following the change in his legal representation. Hochman also clarified that assistant head deputy of major crimes Habib Balian will be prosecuting the case and expressed “complete confidence” in the team’s ability to secure justice for Rob and Michele.
What Nick Reiner Said in Court During First Appearance After Parents' Deaths
“We are absolutely confident that a jury will find Nick Reiner guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of the brutal murders of his parents, Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner, and do so unanimously,” he concluded.
News emerged in December 2025 that Nick was arrested in connection with the murders of his parents. Rob and Michele were 78 and 70, respectively. He is currently facing two counts of first-degree murder and is being held without bail. Alongside Nick, Rob and Michele are survived by their children Jake, 34, and Romy, 28. Rob was also father to daughter Tracy, 61, whom he adopted while married to his late former wife Penny Marshall.
“Words cannot adequately express the unimaginable anguish we are experiencing every moment of the day,” Jake and Romy said in a statement last month. “The horrific and devastating loss of our parents, Rob and Michele Reiner, is something that no one should ever have to endure. They weren’t just our parents; they were our closest friends.”
The statement concluded, “We are deeply appreciative of the outpouring of condolences, kindness, and support we have received not only from family and friends but from people from all walks of life. We now request respect and privacy, for speculation to be tempered with compassion and humanity, and for our parents to be remembered for the remarkable lives they lived and the love they shared.”


